Thursday 24 October 2013

My Photographs Inspired by Vee Speers

FACTUAL: This photograph inspired by Vee Speers was taken against a white wall by me, Beth Self.

The CONTEXT: I have never used props like this in my other photographs but I think it is really imaginative and creates a very appealing image. The combination of the wheel and the shoes makes it that little bit more interesting than if it were just the wheel. 

TECHNICAL: This photograph was taken with a Nikon D90. Personally I really liked using this camera and I think when it is used it creates very clear and sharp images. The lighting I used worked very well, this shows because of the bold shadows on the wall which I really like.

AESTHETIC: I love the way this photograph turned out. The wheel draws the eye in because it is so unusual and interesting. The contrast between the white dress and the black shoes is very appealing. I used the flash when I took this picture which makes the wheel look more shiny than it was. I think the story of this photograph is that she is looking into the distance for something or someone and while she was doing this she lost the main part of her bike and because of her high heel shoes she became unable to walk comfortably so she put the two together and continued on her journey. Another story idea may be that she was trying to get away from somewhere, because of the white dress it creates the idea that she was supposed to get married. There could be many ways the viewer could interpret this picture but personally I really like it and think the shadows make the picture really interesting and unique.

FACTUAL: This photograph inspired by Vee Speers was taken by me outside of school in my house.

The CONTEXT: This picture groups together with my others inspired my Vee. But I do not normally take pictures of people, I prefer to do landscape photography. But after having a go at portrait photography I realised how much I enjoy it and how I would want to do it again. 

TECHNICAL: For this photograph I used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera. I had the light turned on above the model which created the effective shadow around Victoria.

AESTHETIC: I really like this photograph because of how the model is positioned and how I edited it. By keeping the model and the teddy in colour and making the rest black and white it means Vic and the teddy are more noticeable. The way I cropped this image makes Vic look like a giant especially with the teddy being so small and the one she's holding being bigger. The shadow outlines the model well and makes her look bolder.

FACTUAL: This photograph was taken against my white living room wall with Jo Self as my model.
The CONTEXT: This picture was mainly based on The Birthday Party series because of the model looking sad along with an object. But there is a hint of The Thirteen series in this photograph because of the elegant vintage dress.
TECHNICAL: Along with my other photographs this was taken with a Nikon D90. I used artificial lighting which created the shadow but I also used natural light to my advantage because it wasn't completely dark outside so the light came through the big window to the left of Jo.
AESTHETIC: I really like this photo because of how the model is positioned with the shoes around her arm. The shoes are unusual and different but they go well with the dress because they look almost vintage. A way to improve this photograph could have been to change the ground that the model is standing on. For example I could have taken a picture of some grass, then used the magnetic lasso on Photoshop to go around everything in this photo other than the floor and copied it onto the page with the grass. I think it would make the photo more interesting than it is at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment